Losing Weight With A Low Carb Diet
A few months ago, I did a 2 week test using what I have learned so far while researching and experimenting for lowcarbfun.com. Result: I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and I was never hungry! I would definitely call that a success!
Here is what I did:
- I ate most of the recipes we have listed on the website. I kept it pretty simple, sticking with protein and vegetables. My only weaknesses were sauces, e.g. A-1, tartar sauce, creamy dressing, etc. These were my “indulgence”.
- When I had a craving for pasta, I made something great with Miracle Noodle. The Tuna Noodle Casserole was a favorite, as well as chicken with pesto.
- When I craved a salty, carb-y snack, like potato chips, I had Just the Cheese snacks.
- I drank iced tea throughout the day. It was so good that I just sipped on it all day and often ended up drinking more than a liter a day, sometimes two. You’ve probably heard it said that often, when you think you’re hungry, you’re actually thirsty. I think having my tasty teas helped out a lot.
- I ate whenever I was hungry but always veggies or protein. Steamed broccoli smothered in cheese was another favorite to go with my protein for lunch.
- I wasn’t heavy on the fat. Some people think low carb means excessive fat. While I definitely used cheese to help keep things tasty I didn’t have pounds of bacon and sausage. I ate mostly chicken as my protein source, and when I had ground beef I went with the 93% lean.
- I used my yogurt recipe. That low fat greek yogurt was in a low carb diet I studied once, so I thought I would try it out. I don’t like it plain, but adding a few raspberries (or fruit of your choice) and Truvia didn’t seem to slow my weight loss down at all.
- I never used artificial sweeteners or had diet sodas or drinks. I only used Stevia or Truvia in my tea, yogurt, etc.
- And finally, I did 25 minutes of some exercise everyday. I have a great work out that I love called Slim in 6. I only did the beginner’s workout. Sometimes I would take my kids for a walk but I would try to walk briskly and move my arms. You know, like those professional walkers you see whipping through the neighborhood. I have no idea what they are doing, but I just tried to look like them and I definitely felt a workout.
That was basically it. I actually felt great the whole time and better yet, everything I was eating my kids and husband could eat too. It became a family affair to eat better. What’s great is that if you are working to cut out the simple carbs and sugars on a regular basis, then those
special occasions and kids birthday parties where the cake cannot be resisted are not are not a figure killer.
Our goal with this blog is to be able to create a healthy lifestyle while still enjoying your favorite things. I found that to continue this successfully, and not feel that you’re missing out on the guilty pleasure foods, I would need more research in the area of breads and desserts. That is what we are working on now.
I would have continued with my diet, but I have moved to another experiment… actually being pregnant and keeping with the principles of lowcarbfun.com so as not to gain excessive weight. This one is an adventure all its own, and the subject of an up and coming blog.
I hope you find this helpful and useful in meeting your own weight loss and health goals!